My setup is always in flux, and so will this page be. I’ll try to keep up here, as well as keep a log of older setups. I’ve decided to divvy up my gear in what I’m doing, such as writing or traveling, rather than breaking it down to hardware and software.
As always, if you have a cool workflow or a gadget that you just have to have, please tweet to @tdh on Twitter and let me know. I love that stuff.
Updated September 2018 (Asus RPG G20 is up for sale, and so is most of my gaming consoles, a Mac mini replaced the Apple TV 4th Gen, the reMarkable has gone, all Google Drive things have gone in favor of Dropbox, audio book service Storytel has also gone, and Pocket replaces Instapaper after the GDPR fuckup.).
I’ve broken down my setup a bit, because it gets a bit silly otherwise. This is not an exhaustive list unfortunately, I have way too many gadgets. Some would say it’s a problem.
- Mobile devices and their accessories:
- 15” MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (3.3GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD in somber space gray), sometimes with Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and propped on a Rain mStand.
- 12” MacBook (1.2GHz Core M5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD in gorgeous gold), which actually is my preferred Mac of choice, despite its limited power.
- Mac mini (2.3GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1.2 TB Fusion Drive) with a Magic Trackpad and Logi Keys-to-Go, connected to the TV at the apartment I’m renting.
- Entertainment devices:
- Various gear, tools, and other things that’s worth mentioning:
- Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones, when the AirPods won’t cut it (and when traveling).
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II is my camera of choice.
- Punkt MP01 dumbphone.
- Freewrite let’s me write in the sun.
- Batteries from Kanex: GoPower USB C and GoPower Watch. I also have a small Qi battery from Exelium
- Volvo XC60 for driving around.
Apps I’m currently using
This list only contains the primary apps that I use fairly regularly. That means that you won’t find Adobe Premiere CC here, even though I fire it up every now and then.
- Writing and taking notes:
- Design and graphics:
- Keynote (macOS and iOS) for my presentations.
- Numbers (macOS, rarely iOS) houses all my budgets.
- iTunes (macOS) plays Apple Music on the Macs.
- Music (iOS) plays Apple Music on the iOS devices.
- Pocket (iOS) is where I read all longform pieces.
- Reeder 3 (iOS) for RSS.
- Comixology (iOS) has all my comics.
- Korg Gadget (iOS) is glorious.
Depending on the trip, I’ll use different bags. I’m currently in love with the Hunters Satchel from Peg and Awl, but I also use the North Face Base Camp backpack. I never check luggage, so either I’ll stick with the Base Camp, or use the Rimova Classic Flight Cabin Multiwheel (there’s a mouthful).
The contents inside the bags rarely changes however, not counting whatever clothing I’d need for the climate.
- iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil, in the sleeve.
- B&W PX headphones, because of noise cancellation.
- Kindle Oasis.
- Exelium Qi battery for iPhone X and USB charging. I’ll add the Kanex GoPower USB C (which charges other things too, not just USB C) if I’m unsure of access to power.
- Notebook (various sorts, by Field Notes) and Pilot G2 pens (blue or red, or both). I also carry a Pilot VBall 0.5 in black, which I like a lot.
- Klean Kanteen water bottle (and sometimes it’s thermos equivalent).
- 29W charger and USB C to Lightning cable.
- Micro USB to USB cable.
- USB to USB C adapter.
- Cleaning cloth.
- Local currency, hand sanitizer, chewing gum.
- If I’m traveling overnight, I’ll add the Kanex GoPower Watch battery.